Thursday, July 15, 2010

To verify or not to verify, that is the question.

Well how's about an answer...
ALWAYS VERIFY.
Because of the rush and pressure to be the first to report a story or break the news, I feel some journalists have become careless in their reporting.  It is becoming more and more common for journalists to publish their stories (online) and go back (after the story has been published) and make corrections.
 
Jim Hall, chairman of the National Transportation Safety Board said the following in a meeting at the International Society of Air Safety Investigators: "Where once reporters would try to verify stories before putting them on the air, now, we constantly hear what can only be called rumors spread by what are considered legitimate broadcasters. How many times have you heard a reporter say, 'This isn't verified, but...' or 'A so-far unsubstantiated report says...' If it isn't verified, why are they broadcasting it?"
Hall later told the media to, "Take care."  He said that the rush to be first "can outstrip common sense and, in some cases, even common decency."
Hall said this in 1999.  I find it frightening to think that if this was a problem ove a decade ago, how bad has it gotten since? 

In The Elements of Journalism, Kocavh and Rosensteil say that "journalism alone is focused on getting what happened down right."  I don't think I could make up a more black and white statement.  We have talked about truth and loyalty in journalism and how journalism is almost like a sacred priesthood and covenant between the writer and reader.  Why on EARTH would we dare compromise that trust simply to be the first one to print?  If journalists keep publishing stories without getting their facts straight the first time, they're going to lose their readers.  Nobody is going to want to get their news from a paper or website that is constantly changing their facts.  Personally, I would rather get my news from a paper that has a verification process even if it isn't the first breaking story. 

I find that the more we talk about the ethics of journalism, the more I realize they're all connected.  I feel like if you break one "rule" you're breaking at least three more.  What baffles my mind is how people study this and they still go against everything they once believed.  Think about it, every journalist, great or small, started out where we are today.  A student, in a class, learning and growing and believing that they're going to be the person to keep all the rules and be completely unbiased and objective.  It's just sad for me to think of all those who have gone off the deep end so to speak and have put all morals and standards aside just to print a "good story."

"Journalism alone is focused on getting what happened down right."  Let's try to keep that in mind as we continue on with this little journalistic journey and remember our promise to tell the truth and get the facts right. 

1 comment:

  1. I think you're completely right when you said that if you break one rule, you end up breaking at least three more!!! I never thought of it that way until now. Journalism now seems to be more about ratings and bragging right, and less about taking the time to get the facts straight. My mom taught me an important principle growing up: do it right the first time, you won't have to worry about doing it again. Ok I'll admit that principle came as a result of me learning how to wash dishes....but I think it just as easily applies to journalism. One of my pet peeves in life is seeing a retraction printed somewhere!!! Hello, if you took the time to report the story right the first time, you wouldn't have to worry about making corrections later! I never would've guessed that important life and career lessons could come from washing dishes. My mom would be so proud haha.

    ReplyDelete